With just 3 ingredients, these Easy Watermelon Jello Shots are just what you need for your summer parties. Made with watermelon vodka and Jolly Rancher jello, these are a tart, sweet, and surely pack a punch!
Easy Watermelon Vodka Jello Shots
With bright red jello and a sour watermelon flavor to match, these Watermelon Jello Shots will steal the show at your next summer party. They’re made with just 3 ingredients – watermelon jello, watermelon vodka, and Sour Patch kids – and you can prepare them a day in advance so there’s no fuss the day of the party.
Just remember that jello shots are real shots. These do pack a punch!
What You’ll Need
- Watermelon gelatin – We used the Jolly Rancher brand watermelon jello but Sonic and regular Jello both offer the flavor.
- Watermelon vodka – See below for substitution ideas.
- Sour Patch Kids candies – An optional garnish but I love the sour-and-sweet addition it gives to these jello shots. If you don’t want the gummy candy, you can always garnish these with a bit of fresh watermelon instead.
Watermelon Vodka Substitutions
If you don’t have watermelon vodka on hand or you don’t particularly enjoy vodka, you have a few options for these jolly rancher jello shots.
- Malibu Watermelon Rum. If rum is more your thing, swap out the flavored vodka for flavored rum. Malibu is a great option, though there may be other brands as well.
- Watermelon Pucker. Watermelon Pucker is another watermelon-flavored liqueur. I would recommend doing half of this and half clear vodka.
- Plain vodka or rum. If you don’t feel like picking up a special bottle to make these, you can make these jello shots with plain vodka or white rum. Just note that the watermelon flavor won’t be as vibrant.
Jello Shot Essentials
- Condiment cups – Unless you have a large stash of shot glasses, you’ll want to make your jello shots in condiment cups. Most jello shots are made in 2 ounce condiment cups but if you want the shots to go further, you can use 1 ounce condiment cups instead.
- Sauce pan – You’ll want to use a decent, non-stick saucepan for preparing your jello shots. We like this one.
- Baster – A baster is my secret to easily filling the jello shot cups, without making a mess!
- Measuring cups – To ensure you’re adding the right amount of water and liquor, you’ll want a decent measuring cup as well.
How to Make Watermelon Jello Shots
Making this watermelon jello shot recipe requires just a few minutes of hands-on time.
- Dissolve the gelatin powder. Bring water to boil then remove from heat and whisk in the gelatin until it is fully dissolved.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Add the remaining cold water and vodka.
- Chill. Divide the mixture evenly among the plastic cups. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve. Before serving, add a watermelon Sour Patch Kids candy piece.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips that make making jello shots even easier.
- Use a baking sheet. Line the condiment cups up on a baking sheet so they’re easier to transport to the fridge.
- Make a day in advance. While 4 hours is the absolute minimum, I definitely recommend letting your jello shots chill longer. These are perfect for making a day in advance.
- Wait to add the candy. Add the Sour Patch Kids candy just before serving. Otherwise, it can attract moisture and melt.
How to Store Jello Shots
Once they’ve chilled completely, jello shots can be covered with lids and left in the fridge for up to a week. They can easily be stacked to save space as well. I do not recommend freezing jello shots.
More Jello Shot Recipes:
- 1 (3.94 oz.) box of watermelon gelatin
- 2 ¼ cups water, divided
- ¾ cup watermelon vodka
- 12 watermelon Sour Patch Kids candies
- 12 (2 oz) plastic shot cups
- Add plastic cups to a rimmed baking sheet or a muffin tin so you can move them in and out of the refrigerator.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil. Remove from the heat and whisk in watermelon gelatin.
- Stir in ¾ cup cold water and ¾ cup watermelon vodka.
- Divide evenly among plastic cups. Move to the refrigerator to chill for 4+ hours.
- Before serving, garnish each shot with a watermelon Sour Patch Kids candy piece.